Wednesday, May 20, 2009

kids will be kids...


Today Mrs. Hannam's class got to go on a field trip to the Children's Museum. It was a special trip because someone at our school donated the entire trip which meant my kids had to pay nothing. I have to admit that I wasn't really that excited about it at first because all I know of the museum is from the eyes of the mommy of a 2 year old. But alas, the trip was free and it got us out of our uber quiet school that is smack dab in the middle of taking EOGs.

You know I've always wondered why it is that the particular kids that I teach have such a hard time with their imaginations, we are just finishing our fiction writing unit and it stopped some of my best writers in their tracks to create their own script if you will. But as we moved from room to room today at the museum I couldn't help but smile and reflect on what was taking place in front of me. It was innocence, joy, friendship. It was simply kids being kids. You would be saddened to know the backgrounds of some of the children I work with, and maybe even surprised to know that many of them when we share our favorite part of the weekend say all they did was watch tv all weekend in many ways they know little of innocence and joy.

I guess in my reflection today I was reminded for the sake of my own child to let him play, to be innocent, to let him create, to let him enjoy the little things whether they be age appropriate or not. I also was reminded of the value of joining him in his adventures, to help him create memories that will last a lifetime. And I have to say I am so looking forward to creating more of those memories real soon... ahem...in 17 days when school gets out.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: