Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ladies night out

As promised I am catching you up on one of my favorite events of my summer, cooking with Kendra. Here I am with (l to r) Lauren, Kate, Heather and Pam ,all friends of ours from Awaken, cute aprons, huh! And yes that is rum, one of the desserts we made had a splash of rum in it, rum = yum! If you live in or near Greensboro, you got to take one of her classes.
I was amazed at how much I learned in two hours. Let's see how to cut the right way, never take the tip of your knife off your cutting board. When breading chicken for strips, use a "wet hand" and a "dry hand." How to pick a good avacado, you want a little give. What kind of pan to use, non-stick calaphon. What a correct simmer looks like, small bubbles around the side of your pot. How to mill something (like on Rachel Ray) keep one hand on your knife handle and one hand on the tip and work your way like a see saw through your green onions. I also saw and used about 10 new kitchen tools that I must have...I mean would like to have, such as a wooden cutting board and a non stick stirring spoon.
But most of all I learned to cook 6 new things that were fun, delicious and easy and had a great time with friends old and new. I can talk recipes if you'd like, but then I'd be giving away all of Kendra's secrets. My favorite was these little darlings puff pastries with sundried tomatoes and pesto sauce. It's basically 4 indgredients and you have a yummy bite ready and waiting!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a "Bed and Breakfast" in the making. Keep up the good work.

Lauren and Justin said...

it was so fun :) cute pics